Stroke is the leading cause of long-term disability among adults in the United States and the fourth leading cause of death (behind diseases of the heart and all forms of cancer). Nearly 700,000 people suffer new or recurrent stroke each year, and almost 165,000 die of the condition.
The Stroke Center at Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is a state-of-the-art stroke prevention and treatment program, providing a seamless system of handling patients from the emergency room through rehabilitation.
Call for a free magnet with the Warning Signs of a Stroke at 1-877-442-2362.
Certified "Advanced" Primary Stroke Center
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has been certified by the Joint Commission (JC) as an "ADVANCED" Primary Stroke Center. To achieve certification, Medical Center Bayonet Pint has assembled a team of highly skilled medical professionals - including emergency physicians, surgeons, neurologists, nurses, therapists, laboratory and pharmacy staff, and radiologists - who are specially trained to respond quickly and completely to the needs of a stroke patient.
When a patient comes to the Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point emergency departments with symptoms of stroke:
- A trained Stroke Team is available around the clock, seven days a week, to evaluate a stroke patient within 15 minutes of arrival
- Each patient is evaluated and treated using a uniform and extensive set of guidelines that address both emergency treatment and ongoing care
- A head CT scan or brain MRI scan can be performed and interpreted within 45 minutes of the stroke patient being admitted
- A fully functioning medical laboratory is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week to analyze and provide test results in a timely manner
- Tele-nurology consult evaluation within 15 minutes of arrival.
Recognized by the American Heart Association
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has received the Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Gold Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association. The award recognizes Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point's commitment and success in implementing a higher standard of care by ensuring that stroke patients receive treatment according to nationally accepted guidelines. Learn more »
Comprehensive Program of Care
We also treats any underlying problems - such as vascular disease or atherosclerosis - that may be the cause of stroke, and offers:
- The latest advances in stroke care, ranging from "clot-busting" drugs to improved techniques for vascular surgery
- Stroke nurses who coordinate the care of stroke patients.
- State-of-the-art facilities and the latest technology
- A high priority on research that may lead to shorter hospital stays, speedier recoveries and stroke prevention
- Acute Stroke Team - a team of clinicians experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of stroke who are available around-the-clock for stroke emergencies
- The latest in diagnostic imaging equipment to accurately detect stroke and its complications
- Minimally invasive delivery of clotdissolving medication using the newest therapies
- Rehabilitation specialists committed to helping survivors regain a comfortable quality of life
- A multi-specialty Stroke Committee reviews patient care and outcomes every other month